E-Paper Login
Facebook
HEADLINES
SUBSCRIPTIONS
ANNOUNCEMENT FORMS
ADMINISTRATION
NEWSROOM
CIRCULATION
ADVERTISING
DESIGN
PRESS
COMMUNITY CONNECTIONS
CONTACT US

 

 

Administration

Elizabeth Wade Perkinson

Elizabeth (Wade) Perkinson
Publisher
Joined in 1978

elizabeth@ecdailynews.com

Oreo

Oreo
"The Boss"
Joined in 2011

Elk City legals

Janis Flick
Bookeeping/Legals
Joined in 1989

janis@ecdailynews.com

 

The Elk City Daily News has been around in one way or another since before Oklahoma statehood. It began as the Elk City Democrat, a weekly founded by Herman Stevens in 1901, the year the town came into existance. Stevens is credited with giving Elk City its name, referring to it as "Elk City on Elk Creek". J.W. McMurtry purchased the paper from Stevens in 1908 and it became the Beckham County News and then the Elk City News.

In 1914 it became the Elk City News Democrat, continuing thus under later ownership by Mary Alice Blackburn and then Jay Bee Miller in 1925. In Sept. 26 of 1929 new owner Eugene Pulliam converted the newspaper into a daily and renamed it the Elk City Daily News.

In 1935 Paul R. Wade, former news editor and advertising manager of the El Reno Tribune, took the helm as editor. He purchased the paper two years later. His son, Larry Wade, became managing editor in 1964 and co-publisher in 1966. Larry took over after Paul's death in 1972. He ran the paper, served as mayor and was part of multiple Elk City and University of Oklahome committees until his death in 2011. Now Larry's daughter, Elizabeth Perkinson, carries on the family tradition of bringing quality news coverage to the people of Elk City.

Elk City History